We believe in children
Barnardo’s believe a child’s future should never be defined by their past and this is something we have practiced for over a 150 years. We have witnessed children’s incredible ability to transform their lives no matter what they have been through. And, we know that when people believe in children they start to believe in themselves.
Children and young people should thrive with the love and support of their families. However, sometimes they come up against challenges that prevent this. We support them to overcome these challenges and make sure their family stays strong.
Every child should be safe from harm. Sadly, this isn’t the case for all children. We support children and young people who’ve been abused and help them feel safe again.
We want young people have the best chances in life – to achieve their full potential in later life. It can be hard for some to access the right support to get them started. So, we help them deal with what can be a challenging transition to adulthood
Barnardo’s 966 services worked with 248,000 children, young people and families last year. These vital services run across the UK and include: counselling for children who have been abused, fostering and adoption services and disability support.
Believing children in Yorkshire
Thomas Barnardo, opened his first home in Yorkshire in 1892 and today, Barnardo’s works with over 14,000 children, young people and their families in services across the Yorkshire region.
Barnardo's services across Yorkshire include:
- Adoption and fostering services
- Help for young people who have been sexually exploited
- Support for children affected by parental imprisonment
- Support for children who have been abused and who self-harm
- Help for children who are 'looked after' and those leaving care
- Care and community services for disabled children and their families
- Training and support for young people with additional learning needs and those who are not in education, employment or training
- Support for homeless young people
- Support for children who have displayed sexually harmful behaviour
- Help and advice for families experiencing complex and multiple needs
Barnardo’s is here to support the UK’s most vulnerable children. To stand up for them. To bring out the best in each of them. Whoever they are, and whatever their circumstances. By supporting us you’re believing in children too.